Friday, October 3, 2014

Why we quit and what we can about it.

Hi everyone, I hear all too often "I need someone to workout with." I hate hearing those words. As a fitness professional all I hear when someone says that is; I don't have the motivation to get off my ass unless someone is forcing me too.

Well I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's not how shit works. If you cannot find the drive from inside, you wont be able to find the drive from the outside either. You have to desire the change and have it manifest from your own self. Having a gym buddy is great, but you still have to have intrinsic motivation to keep going. I don't care how great of a gym partner you might find, they cannot keep you motivated. You have to keep you motivated.  

You may be thinking, yeah that sounds great, but how? The truth is, you have to find a fitness program that works for you. You will never stick to a routine if you do not enjoy it. This advice is worth gold in both fitness programs and diet routines. Find something that makes you excited and go after it. 

I'll use a personal example. I fucking hate running. Anything beyond 1.5 miles feels like a marathon to me. Therefor to choose running as a way to get fit would be virtual health suicide for me. Several things would happen if I decided to choose a program that I hated doing: First I would last about 4 days before I got fed up and burned out. If I pushed it much past this breaking point my form and technique would start going to shit and I would be at risk for injury. I wouldn't enjoy the process so I would just want to get it over with. Second after my fifth day when I decided I was done, I would lose all motivation to begin something new and probably drowned out my defeat with an unholy amount of chocolate cake. 

The same is true for diets. Do not start a diet that is to extreme for your goals. Another personal example. I really don't enjoy eating meat. However this didn't stop me from trying the paleo thing out a few years back... Yeah, colossal failure. Despite eating clean and training hard, my body did not process the change well and my cholesterol sky rocketed. Despite being a great diet, it just wasn't right for me.

The bottom line; find things that you enjoy doing. In both fitness routines and nutritional plans. If you do not enjoy it, don't do it. You won't stick with it and could end up hurting yourself in the process. 

If you need some pointers on different routines or nutrition then drop me a note. I am always willing to answer questions.  

Caleb 


No comments:

Post a Comment